Friday, May 28, 2010

I've seen London, I've seen France

It was difficult walking away and getting on that plane. I said tearful goodbyes, running back for one more kiss from Mark before I really had to get in the security line. It got only more difficult when the security people took my toothpaste. Come on, people, its toothpaste! I managed to stifle my huff, say goodbye to the toothpaste as well, then set off for my plane. I've flown international before, but thought the sight of a literal and actual bar at the front of first class a good sign.

Sadly, no. First class certainly had enough room to sprawl out. My seat, on the other hand, was too small for a hobbit. But I slept as best I could (as best as any can with their knees pressed up against their chin). Upon waking, I asked the British flight attendant, "Can I have some water?" She blinked at me in confusion, then smiled, "Sure, of course you can walk around." We are speaking the same language, right? I think something got lost in translation.

London itself is rather impressive. It is this fascinating mix of ancient and new, sometimes the two side by side in a way that makes you bling and go "that's different." I'm sure we spent much of the time on the metro, going this way then that until I'd memorized the posters on the walls and my head was spinning with "circle line" "blue line" "universal line." But when you walk out of that subway, and Big Ben (the clock tower) is stretched out in front of you in its intricate and breath-taking architecture, you have to rock back on your heels and go "whoah." I was stunned speechless, head inclined backward as I stared up at the massive golden tower and the many peaks of Parliament. Its more than enough to say, "I'm not in Connecticut anymore."

After going site to sight, and a pint and a half later of local beer, Pami and I ended up strolling through Hyde Park--which is a marvel on to itself. Once you fall into the tall green trees and twisting Serpentine Lake, the sounds of the city literally just fade away and are replaced by an array of birds. Wild grass grows up against old wooden fences, groves of birch trees sporadically decorate the cobblestone path. Hyde Park itself is hundreds of years old, once still the popular site for lords and ladies to pass gossip in carriages and on horseback. I don't think its aged a year since then.


By the end of the evening, with sore feet (lesson one: never try to break new shoes in one a mutli-mile march through London), well fed and ready to sleep (as I had yet to do since the plane), we returned to our itty-bitty room (so small that its two twin beds left no room to walk between and the one tiny window took up the entire wall).

So ended my day in London. Next up, Scotland!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=435693&id=794430163&l=19060e8cb5

3 comments:

  1. You and your shoes woman! One would think you would have learned from last time to bring footware that was guaranteed to be comfortable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoes, all I can say is you looked good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Hyde Park! Did you see the Peter Pan statue?

    And lol, trying to break in a new pair of shoes in London? Rookie mistake! :-p (Yea, I can't lie I did it too!)

    ReplyDelete