Thursday, July 29, 2010

Greek and the Rotary Club (my days in Cork)

They said it was going to be an intensive course. But of course I’ve done intensive before. After all, I trained at one of the top language institutes in the world for the military. So an eight-week course in Classical Greek, no sweat, right? Sooo wrooong. I believe one of my classmates summed it up quite elegantly when, after learning the multiple forms of third person imperative (indicative and middle, mind you), in a daze he looked over his coffee during our break and said, “I feel like a squirrel is humping the back of my skull.” Saying I am in a perpetuate daze of declentions, verb endings, future and past infinitives (why is there more than one form of an infinitive verb!), passive future, indicative aorists, and whatever other monsters that lurk under the Greek language bed, is an understatement. At times I barely am able to surface from the sea of forms long enough to blink up at the sun and mumble, “what day is it?”

They say Greek is good for the soul. I’m pretty sure they mean it robs you of your soul. Semantics, semantics.

Four weeks have flown by with few events outside of a book that it’s almost depressing. I am very fortunate that the Rotary Club requested and funded my previous travel around Ireland or else my memories of this country would have been the well worn path to the university, back, and my kitchen table at the dorms with is covered in flash cards, lose papers, books, and a heap load of tears.

On the bright side, misery loves company and my fellow Greek students wallow alongside me in a hilarious manner that can only be a result of studying eight hours a day (AFTER class, mind you). We link arms and somehow survive the assault of grammar and vocabulary, drowning in glasses of Irish cider or Guinness at every given opportunity.

I did manage to get two other students to slip away for a horse ride in Killarney, a blessed break after SIX days of classes and exams. It was a two hour trek through Killarney National Park, a breathtaking sight amongst the mountains, across long grass fields, and along side the beautiful lakes. At least this time I did get to canter and thankfully (sadly?) this horse wasn’t the massive, quick footed beast I rode in Dingle. After a few moments I got the hang of rolling my hips in the saddle, managing to keep my seat as the Irish Draft gelding cantered down the path. Only three of us were experienced enough to do this, so we held back each time so give us room to run. One of the last stretches of running was through the woods. “Here we go!” Yelled the French instructor and off the horses went at a surprising pace. We raced across the path, thundering through brown water puddles, splashing mud up against my legs and face as I gasped for breath. I laughed, I whooped, dropping in the saddle and pressing my cheek against the horses neck to duck under tree limbs, heart in my throat as rain and water came from every direction. Covered in mud, laughing up at the sky, we finally caught up with the group and I finally got the hang of the fast paced canter. For the rest of the ride, at every chance we lunged ahead at a daring pace. I’m ippomanes ("horse-mad", for all you non-Classical Greek speakers out there).

Aside from Greek, I have had some great opportunities to meet with the Rotary Clubs here in Ireland. My first week of classes, I was able to attend the Monday Rotary Meeting of my club here in Cork, which was actually the best meeting I could have attended as it revolved around summing up what the club had done for the last fiscal year (as the presidents were soon to change). One project that really amazed me was a program that helped individuals with Down’s Syndrome. In Ireland, it seems the government doesn’t give the support to those with Down’s Syndrome in manners such as education, care, and/or employment as one might expect. The Rotary Club here has seen the issue and really stepped up. They fund raise each year and raise thousands of euro, all which goes to programs that give opportunities with those with Down’s Syndrome that might not previously been available. It was really amazing to hear about, especially given that my aunt is mentally disabled. The care, time, and effort the club put into this cause really warmed my heart, and I know first hand how much this sort of care is needed.

The next week I was also able to attend the changing of the gavel ceremony, which was doubly interesting as I was witness to the one at my club the year prior. In one year’s time, I got to see this ceremony take place in two different countries, and I really enjoyed that connection to the clubs. Just like at home in Monroe, it was a fun, relaxed, and filled with good food. The new president here is crowned with a very unique and beautiful gold chain that spreads across his shoulders and hangs down the chest. It was a very interesting sign of responsibility and respect and, as a history person, I found the small ritual motivating.

My hosting club here in Cork is extremely friendly, everyone genuinely willing to help in any way they can. It is so easy to see why the Ambassadorial Scholar program is a hit and I wish that when I had gone to France two years ago, I had been involved in the Rotary. The safety nets the club puts out really puts one at ease while in a foreign country and after studying abroad without the Rotary Club and now with, it’s very easy to realize how beneficial that added emotional support and presence is.

I gave my first presentation on Monday, which was a bit nerve racking but, as I said, the club is very welcoming. While I don't care for public speaking, it’s actually very easy for me to give these speeches. As a former Rotary Club Youth Exchange student, when I speak about the Rotary Club, every word comes from the heart. Back in 1998-1999, the Rotary Club changed my life. Coming from a somewhat financially poor background, studying abroad was an unrealistic fantasy. It simply wasn’t plausible for my family. But the YEP gave me an opportunity that drastically and permanently altered my life. I firmly believe that because of that experience, only through it was I able to realize my passion for languages, my love for traveling and culture, and my self-confidence to join the military. I speak rather passionately about it, often opening my speeches with it even though the YEP (Youth Exchange Program) is not part of the Rotary Foundation. Still, I am a product of Rotary. My accomplishments, though also done by the sweat of my brow, are a result of being placed on a path won to me from my Rotary experience all those years ago. So when I talk about the Ambassadorial Scholarship program, I can firmly and clearly assert that this is a program that changes lives. It is again an opportunity that I previously wouldn’t have had as the funds simply weren’t possible for me.

During my second presentation on Tuesday at another Cork Club (Cork has four clubs), I tried to touch on this point as well and really express my gratitude. The club was both friendly and inquisitive, which also made the presentation fun. They told me they weren’t quite use to university students like me, who had so much life experience under my belt, and I was very glad that they seemed to enjoy the presentation. (I always get a bit wobbly kneed before speaking.)

I’m still searching for where I can do my third presentation, but in the mean time, I spend my hours back over my books with even sleep being saturated my declining nouns and conjugating verbs (even in my dreams I can’t escape!). This weekend some of us are hoping to get away to Galway, as we have a day off on Monday (and thus our first two days off in a row). As much as I enjoy Cork (it’s a very quaint and fun city with its own unique feel), I’m ready to see some more of Ireland.

Now, back to studies. I have a aorist passive and future passive verb endings to memorize, after all.

2 comments:

  1. You ar so funny and I miss your face. I love the way you write and I get a good picture image of what you are doing!I'm sure your presentation were awesome just like your Convocational speech. I wish I was there to hear them. As for the 3rd presentation I have no doubt it will be wonderful. I'm not sure how you do it but you do! Love ya MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture below of the sheep I made into a 8 by 10 picture and had it framed with words to a song over the top in the clouds. It came out beautiful. I'm sending it to Dave's sister who just had both breasts removed from cancer.

    ReplyDelete