Wednesday, June 2, 2010

All roads lead to...

All roads don't lead to Rome. They lead to London. If you want to go anywhere in Europe, the trail starts in London. Which makes for a very interesting city. Its a bit of a melding pot, even if many of the inhabitants are temporary. While there is much to see, there is an interesting beauty in what you hear. If one were to stand in the in the middle of the Underground (metro), you have but to close your eyes for a moment, pause, and listen to the symphony of languages. African, Spanish, Italian, Norwegian, English, then Chinese, Arabic, and even languages I've never heard before (which delights me as a linguist). All roads lead to London...even if that makes for a very expensive crossroad.

We went to see Spamalot in the Wimbelton Theater. I was a bit worried the accents would get in the way but the language was clear, fluid, and actually beautiful. I laughed the whole way through--it was as hilarious as it was inventive. The play hinges on that old school 1930s big Broadway style, which works since its so rarely used now a days. It was a treat to see the old style of big kicks, impressive stage presence, 1930s music, canes and top hats (albeit round straw ones), and all the elements I've seen portrayed in old movies but never actually on the stage. I highly recommend it (though I wonder if the jokes would be different for the US stage. At one point, God yells at King Arthur, "You don't want me to go ahead and invent America, do you! That would show you!" Somehow I don't think that would get such a big laugh on the American stage).

Yesterday was mostly a travel day--we left London and traveled, and traveled, and traveled. What made the long bus trip from the airport to Bergen City so delightful, however, was a Norwegian gentleman who took the time to talk with us the whole way. This was especially exciting for us considering in Scotland, we met Americans, British, Australians, New Zealanders, but no Scottish (save for those who worked at the hotels or shops)! So this gentleman (Staine), gave us some excellent insight on Norway. We learned about the geography, economy, the people in general, what to eat, what to drink, where to go, and in general, a very positive experience with the hospitality of the Norwegians (who are said to be the happiest people in the world--with good reason).

Norway is certainly beautiful--there is no doubting that. Its very different from Scotland, which makes its appeal different, but I can hardly wait to see the heart of Norway, the legendary beauty of the fjords, which will be our trip starting tomorrow. Today, though, we experienced Bergen City, which ranged from eating in the fish market (fresh fish cooked right there in the market), to walking the halls of an old castle, and the shops along the harbor. We had shrimp and whale steak. Yes, whale--which was delicious on so many levels. I drank Norwegian beer and I seem to be developing a taste for beer--which sort of mirrors my experience in France where I first started to develop a taste for wine. We also tried Linear Akvavit--a traditional Norwegian whiskey meaning "water from the vine." It can only be called "Linear" if the barrels, while aging, cross the equator not once, but twice. It makes for a smooth (but very powerful) whiskey.

Much of today was spent on the sights, seeing the quaint fishing town of Bergen (though called a "city," one would be hard pressed to consider it one by American standards). Its small but very beautiful with a history over a thousand years old (if not more). And our hotel?

Divine. Vaulted ceilings, hanging chandeliers, a whiskey bar, sauna, jacuzzi, and mind-blowing restaurant. Which was all surprising since it was booked through a type of tour. We were expecting something smaller, less pristine, and certainly less class. But it seems this tour we booked with (our first "tour," though it can hardly be called one as we simply follow their itinerary and are left much to our own), is well known for being as good as it is reasonably priced. Jackpot!

So off we go--tomorrow will be a long, sight packed day, and I think I'll need my energy.

PHOTOS: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=437960&id=794430163&l=a8ca78dd92

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture of a waterfall! Sounds like your trip is awesome. I'm glad it's going well. The play sounds like it was great too!
    You ate whale??? My,my you are sure adventurous in your food choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan,
    It's your mom's friend Shelley, from CA.... I feel like a stalker... LOL! I am totally enjoying reading your blog. For a brief moment, I feel like I'm there. You write so beautifully, and your pictures are simply amazing. I look forward to following you.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete